View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 19:15   #354
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottglocken View Post
Ever heard of a 1911 .38 Super? I thought they used to be notorious for that.

However, things were generally better contained than on a plastic-framed pistol. And the issue even with them was too much pressure in a barrel that didn't offer enough case support. I think that is all it boils down to: chamber opened up enough to ensure reliability leaves a little too much case web unsupported. Get even a little more than a 3-sigma deviation in pressure on the high side, and you get a blow-out in the weakest area, 6 o'clock. Pressure is released into an area that is not designed to contain it, and the frame ruptures.

All that being said, I'll still stand by what I said above. But I won't be doing any kind of fiddling with my G23 unless it has an aftermarket barrel in it (with a tighter chamber).
You are correct about the 38 Super, in 1911 type guns. That was caused by re-loaders putting too much powder, in the case to make some magical 'power factor'. Some folks grew beards to cover the scars, on their face. That got to be known as "super face". The 38 Super was already a high pressure cartridge, in the factory loadings and to exceed that was just plain ignorance. I remember "super face".

I have fired factory 45ACP in a Colt 1911A1 and a Glock 21, with very different results. The cases fired, in the Glock had such a big bulge they wouldn't go in a re-sizing die. The very same ammo was fired in the Colt with absolutely no indication of anything amiss. It was commercial Remington FMC, 230gr, 45ACP ammo.

But, as you point out, the metal framed guns do seem to have a better chance of coming out unscathed.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote