View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 22:32   #54
skyparker
SkyMan

Send a message via ICQ to skyparker
Quote:
Sometimes I fly with two. But never more than two... just because I didn't have need.

A few considerations:

1. Every airline has a different standard. In general, you can take one to four in one case, total (sometimes in multiple cases, depending on the airline). That's just a general outline... be sure to read and have a copy for you airline (never been on it).

2. When I carried two I was never asked why, but if so I would probably throw out something like "pistol sports competition". Sure, it's not the truth. And I understand it's none of their business (you don't have to answer the question even if they ask), however I personally see a lot of value in putting the gate agent at ease. They don't need to know your theories about personal defense and concealed carry. They don't need to know anything, really. But I have found that the more at ease they are, the quicker you get through and the less hassle you have.

Just my opinion and there are certainly many sides to the issue of "what to tell them above and beyond the law and their regulations".

Have a good trip, and if you're able, please post an account of your travel experience here when you get back.
ALLEGIANT AIR WARNING... I found this out today and what a big surprise I got. The following is the entire firearm script copied straight from the Allegiant Air website at http://www.allegiantair.com/aaFAQ.php

Allegiant allows firearms to be transported using the following guidelines:
  1. All customers must declare their firearm at time of check-in.
  2. Firearms and ammunition cannot be carried on-board the aircraft and are accepted in checked baggage only.
  3. All firearms must be unloaded
  4. Firearms must be in a locked case and must be able to withstand normal baggage handling without damaging the firearm or other baggage.
  5. Small-arms ammunition intended for sport or hunting are accepted only if carried in a sturdy checked bag.
  6. Ammunition must be in the manufactures original container, or equivalent fiber, wood, or metal container specifically designed to carry ammunition. This carrier must provide sufficient cartridge separation.
  7. The following are per person limitations on ammunition:
    1. No more than three hundred (300) rounds of pistol (rim fire) ammunition.
    2. No more than one hundred twenty (120) rounds of rifle (center fire) ammunition.
    3. No more than one hundred fifty (150) shotgun shells.
    4. The total gross weight of the ammunition cannot exceed eleven (11) pounds per passenger.
    5. One handgun case (with only 1 unloaded handgun inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    6. One shotgun case (with maximum 2 unloaded shotguns inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    7. One rifle case (with maximum 2 unloaded rifles inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
PLEASE NOTE THE BOLD RULE 5 ABOVE.

I previously wrote in an earlier post that I desired to take 3 firearms in one Pelican/Storm type case. So, I called Allegiant today to confirm.
OK, per the rule, I was ready to comply and only take two guns using two gun cases with one gun in each case. And, per the rule, my wife and I are both paying passengers. This is where they got me... I was informed by Allegiant they only allow ONE handgun in ONE case in ONE CHECKED BAG.

WOW, unless somebody sees something I don't, the entire rule script does not mention, infer or interpret anything like that. How are we supposed to interpret "paying passengers" to really mean "paid checked baggage?" Not all passengers in this day and time with high bag fees check more than 1 bag. This seems somewhat misleading to say the least. Needless to say, I'm not too happy about it.

Well, I'm so glad I I called them...it didn't make a lot of sense to have 2 guns in 2 cases in 1 checked bag, but I was ready to comply. It just chaps me that it's not stated that way.

Had I not called and went ahead and followed the letter of their law, my wife and I would have had a mess on our hands with a extra gun or two at the ticket counter. It probably would not have even mattered if I had their firearm rules printed in hand. The only way we can take two guns now is to pay an extra $40plus to check another bag.

What I learned today: Read the airlines rules, then call them for the interpretation.

Oh..and fly Southwest Airlines... No baggage fees and they allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.