View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 14:10   #99
badlands99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG22 View Post
TSA is NOT allowed to have a copy of your combo or key that goes on the gun case.

First of all, tremendous amounts of appreciation heaped upon MacG22 for this information. It has emboldened me to give it a go. I'm flying tomorrow to New Orleans by way of who-knows-where and I was not looking forward to being unarmed during my stay, so... many thanks.

I was printing out the info from the TSA site and this is part of the page...

***PASTE***
We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
***END PASTE***

That seems to contradict the previous idea of the traveler being the only one who is allowed to have the key/combi.

Has there been a change?

Also, I'll be traveling on some of those small regional jets and I have a carry on bag that I can't be separated from (it has all my camera gear, IE: livelihood). Do any of you have any tips on how to deal with the crew if/when they tell me I'll have to check that bag? I can't let it get into the hands of those gorillas who throw bags around.

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer on that.