View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46   #139
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

I agree Swinokur. Wise gun owners will stay within the bounds of recent caselaw wherever possible, no matter how "unjust" some may feel it is.

I've flown through NY/NJ plenty and never had an issue, but I've never missed a connection or anything.

I've done a bit of reading and calling this morning to research what I would do in this situation, based upon this case, specifically in the NY/NJ airport system. Based upon that case, here's how I will respond when flying through there and facing an unexpected layover. Your mileage may vary, but this is what I'll do:

1. I always fly with the case locked and locked into the spine of the bag as shown in this thread. For me, that's must, but even moreso if you're flying through a city where, in the event of a disruption, you should not take control of your bag.

2. As soon as I find out that that my flight is delayed, and before I take control of my bag, I'll find out if there is overnight storage for bags. If so, I'll do what needs to be done to secure it the storage, either with the airline themselves or etc.

3. I'll notify an officer (preferably TSA but second best would be NY/NJ PA) of the problem I'm facing, the laws I am bound by (with copies of the firearm law that says I can trasport to where I'm going and etc), and ask if the officer would transport the bag for me to storage. I think showing sensitivity to not "taking possession", even if you are entitled to in the airport, is good thing here. Plus, you have a formal witness that you didn't take the bag out of the airport, but instead left it in storage. Based upon the reasoning in the case, this should satisfy the "reasonable" test of what you should do to not take possession.

4. I would then record the officer's name, etc, and make some sort of formal log of when my flight was canceled, where the bag was stored, and who assisted me at the airport (including employees of the airline).

5. Then I'm done. Based upon my calls today to both airports, a conversation with TSA, and a followup call placed to NY BATFE, they all commented in my conversations with them that this would be more than sufficient to satisfy an "avoiding all appearances of evil" test according to their responsibilities and how they interact with the law.

Keep in mind your backup plan. If your destination isn't far, or if you can get a flight out of a new airport and DON'T want to stay in NYC for a night, then rent a car, put the back in the trunk, and drive out of the state to a place that recognizes your permit or etc. Plus, the laws were really written most for people driving through a place.

By the way, I'm not very intimidated by this new set of protocols for myself. I've flown through NY/NJ dozens of times and never had a problem. And if it did occur, these new protocols will likely cost me a bit of time but probably not much more, especially if you are assisted by TSA (who according to my conversation with them today would likely be more than willing to take and store the bag for you at the airport).

And the worst of the worst case? Just stay in the airport that night. It's uncomfortable, but people do it all the time. And a minor inconvenience when you consider what it's worth to be able to defend yourself while you travel.