View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 19:02   #126
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
I can't believe that the impact of the ramped nose of the extractor against the rim of the cartridge would be enough to damage either. The extractor is clearly designed so that the rim of the incoming caartridge will slide up underneath it in the normal rechambering process. It is also clearly designed so that it will cam over the rim of a cartridge which is already in the chamber and I know an instructor who believes he must have done this several thousand times with the same G19 in the process of demonstrating misfeeds. His extractor is still the original one.

This does not mean that extractors cannot break but I doubt that they break for this reason.

English

I tried to close a Glock slide, on a chambered round, by dropping the slide from spring pressure. After 3 or 4 tries, I quit because the extractor wouldn't jump the cartridge rim. I was afraid it may get chipped. I've seen pictures, here on GT of extractors that did chip. I don't know the actual cause of those chips.

I found out that I could chamber a round, ease the slide closed and then just push on the rear of the slide, with my thumb to close it. The extractor wouldn't slide over the rim when hit at high speed but will if just pushed over it.

One of my Glocks would chamber with just thumb pressure but another one required a slight bump, after closing to slide against the case head.

Just my observation.