View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41   #25
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
I can also guaranty that any dollars saved on the labor will only cause the best officers to leave as they have continuously for the ten plus years I have worked there, and will still be spent by increasing the management paycheck. This is why when they were crying layoff, money was suddenly "found" when a forensic accountant was hired, but before they records were turned over.

BTW, I have always been for some sort of measurement of production, but this also assumes that the evaluations are done in a fair and consistent manner. This is something that SB 5 also assumes.

It is purely a shell game.
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Thanks.

The thing is, I pay the dues without complaint. I mean, I griped on here, but that was because of the extreme irony of the FOP saying "it isn't fair that the city of Cincinnati takes $5 / hr from these officers and gives them nothing in return" while simultaneously saying "it's perfectly fair for the FOP to take $50 / month from MeefZah and every other part time state cop and give them nothing in return". I mean, WTF?

As far as Mike's comment that there are unseen benefits to working in a union shop, okay, under ordinary circumstances I'd give him that. But in this case the only benefit I get is the little placard to go on my license plate (cool, man!) and the hourly rate of pay which was negotiated with the union. Oh, and I have to buy the placard. I am an "ETA" employee meaning I am essentially always on probation, thus making my employment forever at-will. I have no due process. I have no raises - my base rate of pay is what I will make, forever, as an ETA; unless there are cost-of living raises. Hell, the union even specifically negotiated that ETA's don't get bulletproof vests. You have to be full time to get one. Now, having said that, the state hires their full time from their ETA, so for most guys, it's a temporary thing. In my case, I only want it as a part time job, so I really get nothing out of the deal.
I see how you keep trying to draw me back into this.. fine..

I would argue that your position exists in and of itself solely because of the union. I'm certain the state of Ohio could hire securitas to come in and do it for $8/hr. The only union benefit you miss out on is attorney representation for your own mishaps, but pretty much every other union benefit out there is afforded to you, including pension and past practices (so really, you are indirectly afforded a union attorney who has argued previous cases that will now benefit you).

This is why I think we'll lose referendum, because even amongst the ranks of the brotherhood we have *****ers standing up in the balcony saying "hey you guys don't help me enough, I hope you all enjoy your paycut."

I'll end with this. It is certainly obvious that you couldn't care less about our struggle, because you feel you've been wronged by the union in the past. But how's about you shut your mouth and keep it to yourself. As you sit on your soapbox and try and perpetuate your weak points, many of us across Ohio are trying to figure out how to tell our children that daddy is going to be making a lot less money real soon.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote