View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 15:15   #18
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Accuracy is good with jacketed loads. It hits to point of aim with a 6 o'clock hold. This is more than I can say for any of the three 5 shot revolvers I have. I can get them all on a paper plate at 25 yards off-hand if I don't pull a shot.

I can't give an opinion on PP yet. It's made for "power", but all the data I can find online for it is meowed down. The "max" load for it with a 147 is 5.0, but Alliant used to have it at 5.7. Well, 5.0 doesn't do anything I probably couldn't do with Unique. See the problem? They make a good powder and then tell you to basically figurre it out for yourself, which is a bit risky. I can get more "power" with Unique and a 20 year old manual. PP isn't in any 20 year old manuals.

The only PP loads I shot were the ones over the chrono. I'll shoot them for accuracy tonight. I did find unburnt flakes on my notebook when I fire the PP loads which means they could be stepped up a bit. That will be a project for my G17, not this little thing. I don't think it's the pressure itelf that beats a gun up, I think it's the recoil. If I can get "more power" with PP and still be in a safe pressure range, I think it will still beat the gun up. The G17 can take the higher recoil forces IMO.

Thanks Wisky, after I made my post I took a closer look at PP and saw what you are saying. It doesn't seem to do much better than Unique.

What I'm trying to do is get a little more velocity with the 147gr. GD's, which may be hard in a 3"barrel. I did notice that Longshot did list some of the highest vel., but have not tried that yet. Whether it can accomplish this in the short barrel is yet to be determined. I just may have to give it a try.
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote