View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 17:24   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Harsh language is sometimes a part of the job, and you speak to people as they speak to you. Some people can only comprehend profanity. It's not about being rude, it's about people comprehending what you're saying. Dropping F bombs while interviewing a little old lady (who's a victim) isn't appropriate. Strongly ordering a gang banger suspect (who keeps walking toward you in a dark alley) to "get the 'F' back" is appropriate.
Exactly. Sometimes you have to say what you have to say and it could very well be a matter of life and death.

Would I use that kind of language in 99% of my encounters? Probably not very likely. However, when it comes time to get down to business and that is what it took to get it done, then I will say it.

One time, my partner was busy holding a suspect down to cuff him. He was okay but busy. In the meantime, 3 huge dudes came walking down the street toward us, yelling and cussing at us about us messing with their cousin. These guys might as well be walking tanks because they were huge!

I tell them to stay back. Nothing. Yell, "STAY BACK!" Nothing. Out comes the pistol to the side of my leg, "STAY THE ***** BACK!" Compliance.

It could very well be the gun... but I think the F-bomb may have accentuated the seriousness of the situation.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote