View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 14:37   #33
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrush View Post
I may be able to do some sort of testing for you, But, I can tell you now
you're all over the max as far as rated pressures.

Now, I am not sure of your chamber design but, most well designed firearms have a service factor built into them that will allow you to actually use the max saami. (not glock stock barrels)

Max saami is a max average pressure. Not the absolute max allowed.

With tight/accurate charge control you can live on the edge with out seeing any issues.

But if one aspect of the config changes, you can get into trouble.

200gr wfn at 1350 with 800x, even in a 6in barrel is right on the line. No question, maybe slightly over with the 6in as pressure is still rising with 800x.

Some of the other powders wil be over at 1350.

If you setup ammo for a shorter than 6in barrel, That ammo will probably be to hot for a 6in barrel. The short barrel acts like a pressure relief/limiter.
Thank you, Mike, for your insight here. I was guessing that the WFN loads were right on the line and have since decided not to work that load up any further. For that matter, I'll probably stay where I'm at (FPS-wise) on all of these 200gr loads since the extra velocity isn't worth the pressure/risk. I'll most likely start by reducing the loads by a grain or so and working them up a bit, but this time, for accuracy rather than FPS.

There isn't a deer I know of that will take a 200gr XTP at 1250, a 200gr WFN @ 1300+ or a 180gr @ 1350fps and not fall. The nice thing about a 6" barrel is that I shouldn't HAVE to stress the pressure to get great velocities.

Thanks again, Mike
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 06-08-2011 at 14:40..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote