View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 09:46   #22
Black Smoke Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
so as the next step up, what would you guys recommend in the 24-30" range for more serious use later down the road? was looking at a husquie farm boss iirc with a 24" bar
24 -30 inch bars is getting into the big hp range of saws if you are truly going to use all of that bar length. You will also need a LOT more hp to drive the chisel head tooth chain used on a bar of this size.

Based on the use I have put my O-66 to, I would not go with anything less than the Stihl MS 441 or its variants the MS 460 would be more to my liking. Unless you have a very specific application or are cutting some REALLY big trees, I would not go much longer than a 24 inch bar unless you like sharpening saw chains alot as it is MUCH more difficult to keep enough cutting pressure on the bar to prevent burning the edge on the cutter heads and sticking the chain into the ground.

You can always keep a 30 inch bar and chain on the shelf for those times you really need it but for most use, the 24 inch bar is plenty. I have cut 3 to 4 ft. diameter black walnut and oak trees with a 24 inch bar without much problem, even larger diameters on trees that were hollowed out.

For that size bar, I would recommend the MS 460 or MS 660.