View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54   #103
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and, in the words of two of the participants in the 1987 Wound Ballistics Workshop, "too little penetration will get you killed."" (emphasis added)

-- Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness
by Special Agent UREY W. PATRICK
FIREARMS TRAINING UNIT
FBI ACADEMY
QUANTICO, VIRGINIA
July 14, 1989
I disagree. The FBI as well as their pet research house Firearms Tactical (Fackler, etc.) have an agenda IMO to promote larger diameter heavier bullets as an excuse for their poor performance with their 9mm service guns re. the Miami shootout. I don't know about you but I am not 12" thick, and I have no doubt the 7-8" depth and 5"" diameter gaping sphere of goo that used to be my internals after being liquefied by a 1600fps 135gr Nosler would in fact put me or just about anyone down, and not over penetrate to boot, although I agree overpenetration is not something to worry about short of rifle calibers. The remaining velocity from a handgun would most likely not be sufficient to cause grave damage.

Furthermore, temporary cavity DOES wound, given enough velocity. The generally accepted threshold is 2000fps. A G20 with a 9x25 barrel and light bullets would produce those velocities so handguns can in fact would via temporary cavity.

Furthermore who says WOUNDING is the only mechanism that stops bad guys. Could it not be that the felt shock of a high velocity fragmenting bullet would not have a psychological component that could aid in convincing the BG to stop? I don't know, do you? History shows lots of BGs were stopped with one shot from a light fast fragmenting 125gr 357 magnum slug.

Edit: Sorry I just realized this is an old thread and I had already posted some of what I reiterated here. Sorry for the duplication.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).

Last edited by G26man; 12-22-2011 at 09:57..
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote