View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 21:48   #9
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapshot View Post
Would you care to explain exactly how that would happen? Sure would be great to hear. Maybe there's something i don't realize.
A few things here:

This thread was posted about a court case, NOT a piece of legislation. This court case - and another that's still ongoing - have requested a permanent injunction that would bar law enforcement from enforcing the parts of IL law that restrict carrying firearms. No exceptions for government buildings, no exceptions for bars, no requirements for training or licensing. They're asking for full Alaska-style carry: If you're legal to own it, you're legal to carry it. The legislation isn't involved in these decisions.

The other side IS the legislation, and BudMan is right. The bill fell less than 10 votes from passing in the House last year, and because of these court cases, several of the "hard-charger, never-gonna-happen" Chicago politicians have gotten scared. Representative Brandon Phelps - the Democrat from southern IL that introduced the CCW bill last year - told his peers they could pass the law that he worked on that included certain requirements and exceptions, or they could NOT pass it and the courts would decide with no other input. Guess what? They bill didn't pass, and the courts are looking at dropping that BIG hammer. So, now the naysayers are starting to say "Well, maybe we can work something out."

BudMan is right. There will be celebrations one way or the other for 50 states with carry rights coming VERY soon.