View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51   #16
justinsaneok

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole View Post
It's the SPPM that did most of the breech face cutting and I think now that these (red box CCI primers) have a cup hardness more like rifle primers. The SRP and SRPM use is very low volume by comparison and something I was just more curious about in 9mm. That's part of the hobby part in reloading. And, I just clarified that in my OP.

Many reloaders state SPPM (and also SRP and SRPM) run in 9mm. They do. What I've found conclusively, at least to myself, is that it's not the brass (e.g. stretched pocket) and not over-pressure, it's primer hardness and under-pressure. So, aside from being more prone to light primer strikes, hard primers may cut your breech face. That might be useful information to some reloaders. I'm sharing this to share my experience with other reloaders who may consider using SPPM (or SRP/SPRM), because, well, I think sharing information is something reloaders should do.

Also, there was a small primer shortage a while back you may have missed and reloaders were running what they could get. A cheap gun (like a Glock) you actually shoot often, over time, is much, much more expensive to feed than purchase.

How quickly some forget when primers were short and ran up to $40/k (or more). I was getting bulk SPPM for $10-$20/k in FTF deals. Run >10k a year in those days and do the math. I have, and already saved enough to buy this gun again. The math is different for low vs. high volume shooters. And, different if you ignore the past.
I remember how crazy it was, it will be again. I'm just now buying in bulk what a difference. Casting my own and bulk primers and powder = lotsa fun, lotsa practice.
Lot of guys I know use them in light loads oddly enough. Said it made them more consistent when on the edge of power factor or so I was told.

Last edited by justinsaneok; 02-15-2012 at 12:54..
justinsaneok is offline   Reply With Quote