View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57   #300
LongGun1
StraightShooter

My Arkansas Concealed Handgun License arrived (non-resident Florida permit previous to that)!

3 more CZ P07 Duty magazines arrived!

Resolved several issues with the V-Strom..

..balanced the throttle bodies with a homemade manometer..

..and upgraded the electrical system (again)..

.. & found a minor electrical issue causing major problems.

Put another 1K on the V-Strom in the last week..

..running much better after the mods/maintenance!

Little Ole Lady in a big Cadillac tried to turn me into a hood ornament just outside of Little Rock..

..during packed rush hour traffic on I-40..

..thank goodness for situational awareness, reflexes & air horns!

But the most interesting...& one that really needs sharing is this...

While doing research for female friends/relatives concerning the development of their situational awareness & response curves relating to self-defense..

(several have purchased CHL firearms, are taking CHL Classes or personal training by me & are stepping up to take personal responsibility for the safety of themselves & family...either due to their husbands extended absences due to work, their husbands unwillingness to address personal security to their satisfaction, etc, etc)

..I came across a very interesting read on the subject.

In short, I was trying find "Study Material" for them to bridge the gap between my (fairly rich & raw at times) life experiences & their very limited ones..

..trying to articulate "truly bad" & "evil"..

(& how to recognize those developing "life changing" scenarios that might turn their lives into a chalk line & crime statistic or worse)

..to those whose worst personal encounters tends to stop at a few brief basically "rude" interactions!

Also since I am the opposite physically (6' 7", 295lb)..

..combined with "if I am dressed...I am armed"

..seasoned with (many more than I would like) survival experiences in my early years..
(formative years in bad side of town, later lived in a predominately Islamic country rife with terrorism, a military coup & shoot-to-kill martial law, etc)

..so what worked & worked well for me....

(concerning recognizing, avoiding, posturing & sometimes addressing violent encounters...including those wielding knives, clubs, broken bottles, guns, etc)

..likely will not apply to them in the same way.

Basically...young females tend seen as easy prey to predatory humans..

..me...not so much!

And that is where I came across this gem!

The book mirrors my personal views..

..which is the best 'fight' or 'assault'..

..is the one recognized early & skillfully avoided..

..and if violence is inevitable...put him, her or them down as quickly & efficiently as possible!

This book is a "must read" for anyone in this forum...IMO

Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected

A "Must Read"..

..not only by those females I am discussing..

..but for anyone wanting to understand the psychology of violence as it relates to their situational awareness..

..anyone wanting to cultivate & hone a trained response to developing situations..

.. & anyone wanting to increase their personal/group safety while in public!

Only $7.89 for the Kindle Version (free reader for PC or Mac)..

..1/2 way thru it...

..and one of my best purchases...ever..

..Highly Recommended!!

A disclaimer...it covers very graphic subject material...

..the language & descriptions are not for the squeamish!

Quote:
Seven Steps to Legal, Emotional and Physical Preparation

This book stands alone as an introduction to the context of self-defense. There are seven elements that must be addressed to bring self-defense training to something approaching ‘complete.’ Any training that dismisses any of these areas leaves you vulnerable.

1. Legal and ethical implications. A student learning self-defense must learn force law. Otherwise it is possible to train to go to prison. Side by side with the legal rules, every student must explore his or her own ethical limitations. Most do not really know where this ethical line lies within them.

2. Violence dynamics. Self-defense must teach how attacks happen. Students must be able to recognize an attack before it happens and know what kind they are facing.

3. Avoidance. Students need to learn and practice not fighting. Learning includes escape and evasion, verbal de-escalation, and also pure-not-be there avoidance.

4. Counter-ambush. If the student didn’t see the precursors or couldn’t successfully avoid the encounter he or she will need a handful of actions trained to reflex level for a sudden violent attack.

5. Breaking the freeze. Freezing is almost universal in a sudden attack. Students must learn to recognize a freeze and break out of one.

6. The fight itself. Most martial arts and self-defense instructors concentrate their time right here. What is taught just needs to be in line with how violence happens in the world.

7. The aftermath. There are potential legal, psychological, and medical effects of engaging in violence no matter how justified. Advanced preparation is critical.

Any teacher or student of self-defense, anyone interested in self-defense, and any person who desires a deeper understanding of violence needs to read this book.

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-18-2012 at 11:59..