View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 16:06   #64
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
To be honest we have beaten this horse until it is glue. That's why my first post was "Terry Stop. Google it."
That's a diversionary tactic. The conduct described in the OP has nothing in common with a Terry Stop. Nothing at all. Did you even read the OP article? The NYPD is stopping people randomly (profiling) and then using it as an excuse for pat downs and searches. A Terry stop requires at least an initial reasonable suspicion of criminal involvement to initiate contact and the pat down becomes incidental to the stop. One is random, the other is targeted based on articulable facts. Guess which is which.

Quote:
Unfortunately there are people on this board who hate government and all government employees. I don't know why and at this point don't care. I am not going to spend hours writing pages about Terry stops and all the associated case law. It is out there at their fingertips ready to be learned. Yet none of it will never be read because it is so much more fun to trash talk.
Hmm...I googled "Terry Stop" as you requested and the first result is Wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
To have reasonable suspicion that would justify a stop, police must be able to point to “specific and articulable facts” that would indicate to a reasonable person that a crime has been, is being, or is about to be committed.
Here's the first section of the Fox News article in the OP:
Quote:
Baltimore native Chris Bilal was walking through his adopted Brooklyn neighborhood when he was stopped by a police officer. The NYPD officer peppered the 24-year-old with questions about where he lived, requested Bilal’s ID and rummaged through his bag.

“I was coming home from the Laundromat and I was stopped by the police officer. Asking me, ‘Let me see your ID. ‘Where are you from?’ ‘Do you live around here?’ ”

The officer then proceeded to rummage through Bilal’s bag of freshly cleaned and folded laundry to see if he was carrying anything illegal. The search produced nothing, and the officer sent Bilal on his way.
Nothing was found. Why? Because it was a purely random stop based on NO articulable facts other than Mr. Bilal, a black man carrying a bag, happened to be in the same area as a cop that had nothing better to do than to harrass a law abiding citizen doing his laundry.

This is NOT A TERRY STOP. This is a fishing expedition based on intimidation and NYPD has made it policy.

Quote:

There is ignorance due to lack of exposure and there is willfull ignorance due to arrogance.

Im wondering who the one displaying willful ignorance is in this thread is.

Want to try again? It's no wonder people "hate" government employees. You're a poster child for why.

Last edited by G19G20; 05-22-2012 at 16:13..
G19G20 is offline   Reply With Quote