View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13   #25
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
Now that I've shot my Sub2000 more, I can say the MechTech is definitely more accurate. As a rough estimate, I'd say my MechTech has about the same accuracy at 75 yards as my Sub2000 does at 25 yards. There is a noticeable difference in weight too; the MechTech is much heavier and solid feeling.

Also of possible interest - the Sub2000 with it's 16" barrel in .40 S&W produces almost identical ballistics to my 6.6" 10mm G20 longslide. My 160gr cast hollow points, with 40 S&W book loads (9.0gr Power Pistol, book max is 9.2) do 1650 fps in the little Keltec, and 1550 fps with a 155gr JHP and the same load. I'd like to see what could be done with comparable 10mm loads in the MechTech.
It's true that the Sub2000 has the feel of a toy gun. I'd taken the thing completely apart and polished trigger mechanism, so mine still has the long pre-travel while very buttery soft. That helps tighten grouping at 25 yards. However, about the only thing that has any weight to it, is the barrel piece. As a system, it is tough to steady a toy gun like firearm. I'd expect the .40 Sub2000 to be heavier than my 9mm. My 9mm Sub2000's real advantages are its lightness, fold-ability, and Walmart ammo availability.

Mechtech, in contrast, seems to have more substance to handle a lot more powder in the 10mm. I'd expect the 10mm MechTech to be a heavier gun than other caliber MechTech conversions. I'd also expect that you can "test fire" the .40 in the 10mm conversion, just for a few rounds.

My impression of MechTech advantages are its trigger would still be my G20 trigger, and my G20 ammo... With a lot more guidance down range from a hefty system. It would be the best long range 10mm conversion system at $500 ballpark, or long range 10mm system at $1000 with a handgun option, lot better than an AK-47 size wise to carry.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote