View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49   #9
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
but I am curious (as in I am not trying to stump you) as to your view on the where the "stuff" of the universe came from,
Well we are learning that simple elements like those that make up stars can be created from pure energy. With enough energy you can manufacture the building blocks of stars. And within stars other more complex elements can be created. So it's a bit of a chain reaction. The "stuff" didn't need to be there first. Just energy. As for where the energy comes from... I'm currently reading a book by Lawrence Krauss called "A Universe From Nothing". I'm trying to wrap my head around it but it seems they are close to understanding how particles can simply just appear from nothing. That "Nothing" is some how unstable and will always give rise to "Something"... I know it sounds crazy. I'm not gonna even try to explain it because as of yet... I don't understand it myself. But I'm learning.

Quote:
and how life started.
We are very close to recreating abiogenesis in a lab. In very basic terms we are close to understanding how, in the right conditions, RNA can simply come into being on its own via chemistry. And RNA is the foundation of DNA. And so on and so on. Apparently life is a chemical reaction and you just need the right mixture of ingredients to get it rolling. Why here? all the conditions are right. If they weren't we wouldn't be here to question it. And it's probably happening on other planets that just so happen to be in the right place with the right grocery list of ingredients.

Quote:
what about information theory...how does information i.e. the data encoded in DNA evolve?
I'd enjoy reading what some of our more learned members have to offer on that as well.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 09-13-2012 at 10:04..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote