Thread: Crimping ?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42   #5
F106 Fan

There are some fine target pistols in this world including the Colt Gold Cup and the S&W Model 52 (not even counting all the great .22s such as the S&W Model 41) but the Glock 19 isn't one of them. Nor was it intended to be!

One characteristic of a target pistol is a very crisp trigger break with no perceptible creep. The long-creep trigger of the Glock will never make the cut.

I have to be realistic about my shooting. My eyesight isn't much, my grip is questionable and the trigger on my G21SF just sucks. Still, I can keep the holes in an 8" circle at all practical distances. I can hold the 10 ring at 7 yards so I know the gun will shoot. I am the limiting factor in all my shooting. Not the firearms!

The Lee FCD isn't highly regarded around here for crimping ANY semiauto pistol cases although is sees some use for crimping revolver cases where the bullet has a cannelure such as .38, .44 MAG, .357 MAG and I'm using it to crimp .223 with a 55 gr FMJ. But any roll crimp die would work just as well and they have done so for many decades.

In terms of pistol loading, the FCD is supposed to solve a problem that shouldn't exist (improperly sized cases) and creates a problem that didn't exist (over crimping on straightwall pistol cases).

I prefer a taper crimp die on semiauto cases as a separate operation. Besides testing the loaded round in the chamber (remember, you can fit a bowling ball in a Glock chamber), you should make certain the casemouth of the top round in the magazine doesn't catch on the base of the case being ejected. I place a straightedge along the case to see that the taper has been totally removed.

Pull a few bullets after taper crimping and make sure the casemouth is not being embedded into the bullet. This is particularly important with plated bullets. The plating isn't very thick and cutting through it does nothing for accuracy.

As to measuring the torque applied during crimping, I wonder if the brass wall thickness and annealing make a difference. That is, given a few thousand random cases, all loaded in a batch, it would seem to me that even with consistent torque, some will be crimped more than others.

Of course we have the same problem with any other crimp technique because, unless case length is absolutely uniform, the crimp depth will vary.

For precision rifle, there is an arbor press for bullet seating that measures neck tension. But precision rifle is a whole different thing than loading dumpster quantities of pistol ammo.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 09-13-2012 at 12:44..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote