View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 17:53   #3
Maine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
EMT - the problem is that you can always create a scenario in which to buy specific equipment.

The guy hooked it up in a basement. Depending upon your area in the country, many houses do not or cannot have a basement. Most people don't have the storage space.

Bugout location -

same problems as usually spoken. Most people do not have a secure bug out location. So, you might just be furnishing for the next guy.

If you don't want to cook in the first 30-90 days because it would attract attention, don't buy.

If you don't have a fuel supply, don't buy.

If you have a woods out back, you probably will cook in a separate structure like the old days, or just cook outside.

If you are urban, a barbecue pit or outdoor barbecue with a few tanks of propane will be enough.

If you live in Minn in the wild or Maine, you are going to buy comforters and warm clothing first and not primarily rely upon a basement stove.

I'll have to disagree with this. Wood heat is a key part of life up here for many people, particularly those of us who have land, but not lots of cash. warm clothing IS a big part of it, you are right about that, but a well insulated and heated BOL or house is where you will want to be when that clothing is wet with freezing rain or wet snow.
One of my winter projects is a knockdown type tent cabin, heated with a small woodstove that nearly anyone can build. Once done, I'll do a video of it- i though of this as someone was lamenting they could not afford a BOL. our nation was founded with shelters like these.
As far as a woodstove, i'd recommend installing it NOW, and learning to use it. Then you can take it out, cap off the chimner connection, and use your oil or whatever, then install the woodstove when you need it. They often go in the center of the house, not always the basement.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote