View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 19:52   #6
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
[/B]

I'll have to disagree with this. Wood heat is a key part of life up here for many people, particularly those of us who have land, but not lots of cash. warm clothing IS a big part of it, you are right about that, but a well insulated and heated BOL or house is where you will want to be when that clothing is wet with freezing rain or wet snow.
One of my winter projects is a knockdown type tent cabin, heated with a small woodstove that nearly anyone can build. Once done, I'll do a video of it- i though of this as someone was lamenting they could not afford a BOL. our nation was founded with shelters like these.
As far as a woodstove, i'd recommend installing it NOW, and learning to use it. Then you can take it out, cap off the chimner connection, and use your oil or whatever, then install the woodstove when you need it. They often go in the center of the house, not always the basement.
Oh I already have and LOVE a wood stove. One of THE best buys I ever made. Talk about off the grid!!!

I'm anxious to see this stove you are building so please do report back.

I saw some english guy on youtube last night that actually made one from a 50 cal. ammo can!! Had a little door on the front and everything!

I was just thinking that if I could put a stove kit in a barrel, seal it off and keep it in the corner of my prep area or at a BOL for decades....it could prove useful although it'd take some work. So maybe building ahead of time would be the better idea.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote