View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24   #106
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
And at the very least even the atheists have to admit that holy books like the bible, the Koran, the Talmud, etc give us all a set of values and rules to live by that make the world a better place.
Actually, I don't think many atheists would agree with you on that topic (although some would). I for one believe that these sorts of religious texts have caused far more harm than good. There is nothing more dangerous than for a people to hold the collective delusion in their mind that they alone have the truth and know what is best for everyone else. That sort of thinking leads to the justification of unimaginable atrocities.

Quote:
Human nature is proof of gods existence. We can explain everything except why we do what we do. Is it just some weird chaotic bunch of electrical signals sent to the brain, or is there something more at work there?
You are stumbling around a profound point with this and it is one I've often pondered, but made no progress on. As DesCartes said, "I think therefore I am", but if all I am is an advanced electrochemical computer than that should not be the case. I should be as hollow in thought as the computer sitting on my desk. A very capable device to be sure, but still only a machine.

But I know that I am not. I am self-aware and knowledgeable of my own conscious mind. How can that be? It hints at me being more than the sum of my parts in some way. More than a tub of water mixed with a bucket full of chemicals. What I know of my composition doesn't explain this sentient capacity that I know I have.

Some see that as proof of the soul, but that is to far of a logical leap. There is nothing to indicate that a "soul" exists or if it does, that it is eternal in some way and can live beyond the body. All that I really know is that there is something more to the explanation than the information we currently have would indicate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 09-26-2012 at 12:26..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote