View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 21:45   #93
UtahIrishman
BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
"I don't think the "survivalists" who post here have any idea how weak and timid they are, in comparison to the people who will be taking their food, guns, ammo, etc., in a SHTF situation."

I will tell you why I agree. 1968 US Army. One day I realized in a cold sweat that a younger emaciated guy on the other side with no education, but better eyesight and reactions could shoot me dead faster than I could react. And, the guys you would be going up against had probably been living in the field for years.

When a issue of M16s came in, they were first given out to the guys going right over to Vietnam. Then the tears started with the big, strong rah rah guys. Most of them had never been camping, been in the Boy Scouts, made a meal for themselves or knew the basics about first aid or personal hygiene.

When shtf in your community, your most difficult opponents will be guys who have basically lived the gang life for years. You will be their tuna fish and they will be the sharks.

There will be a lot of people going through a learning curve after shtf. You really don't want to be behind the curve or moralizing. You can get yourself up the food chain a bit if you work on your skills and physical health now.

Intellectual debates are worthless in my opinion.
I've never been in the service so I can't speak from that point of view, but I have had experiences where I felt that cold sweat of fear that I might die.

I agree on not being behind the curve. But it's as much mental as it is physical. And thus I think some intellectual debate, ahead of time, can be useful. Otherwise why would we be posting here? Hopefully it's to help rather than brag.

I also think that everyone needs to experience being in severe danger at least once. I'm not talking about sky-diving or some other dangerous sport. You know the odds there are in your favor. Those are a calculated risk.

I'm talking more about situations in which you have no idea whether the outcome is going to be in your favor or not. Though hopefully the deck is stacked some with preparation.

I suppose the only way you can really prepare that way is to be a soldier a cop or a criminal. Since many of us aren't soldiers or cops and don't want to be criminals the preparation has to be mental.

I hope I'm making sense here. It's hard to articulate exactly what I'm driving at. It's kind of you've either seen the elephant or you haven't. But any preparation, both physical and mental, is better than nothing.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote