View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 22:49   #1267
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Warp - that's what the "hostile" means in "hostile takeover". They're buying a company that isn't for sale....or is for sale but not at the price being tendered. They buy what they can. BOD recommends shareholders not accept. Offer goes up. Rinse and repeat.

Along the way they often acquire enough shares to replace the BOD and move the transaction in their favor...(BOD recommends shareholders accept the offer). 51% isn't required to have a controlling interest in these situations. It depends how many shares other interests hold as one voting block. A relatively small percentage, maybe 5 or 10% held by one interest can wield enormous influence. Once you get enough to start replacing board members, you have effectively taken over a company. From that point, you might choose to acquire it outright, or not.
There is, of course, potentially a lot more than that to it, even.

It can get complicated very quickly.

How easily is 5% interest going to start replacing board members though? I mean...really?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 09-29-2012 at 22:49..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote