View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 20:43   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
Wow, that was very informative, thank you. I'm really looking for just a little more oomph, so if 5.2 grains gives me enough that I don't get any more cases to the forehead I'll probably stop there, assuming accuracy is good.

I didn't know that JHPs take up more room in the case, but I also haven't loaded any of them. Would it be safe to assume that something like a Hornady 124 gr FMJ would have a similar depth and pressure characteristics to a Speer 124 gr TMJ?
The Sperer manual is pretty close to what most get in real owrld reloading. I have also gone beyond 5.8gr Speer max, but stick w/ book loads.
THink about how a JHP is made. If bullets are the same weight, the mat'l form the HP has to go someplace, so you get a longer bullet.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote