View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 22:56   #44
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
This is why I advocate getting specific trainings. Want to compete or shoot competition style? Go to a school that teaches you competition shooting.

Want to learn how to fight? Go to a school that teaches you how to fight.

As far as I'm concerned, the 'twains are so different that I don't even bother trying to mix'em up.
This is a big mistake IMO and most modern trainers, or generally the top notch guys, understand the advantages that can be gleaned from the shooting sports world or competition shooters. Trying to keep them completely separate and not not intermixing styles or techniques is IMO a big mistake.

Being open minded about techniques that actually works for whatever style, even in combat shooting is what keeps us progressing. Too many people want to poo poo things because it was a "competition thing". This is plain ignorance. Now I am not saying to adapt something "just because" it may be the flavor of the month, but if it is trained, practiced and vetted as an improvement, it does not matter who came up with it.

I also have no problem with people who use weapons for critical use or defensive purposes to also intermix in the shooting sports world. Having said that, I do not shoot competition, but my style is definitely a fusion of techniques that directly find their roots in the competition world. I do not teach competition shooting. I am still working actively on full time teams but I do I teach almost full time which is primarily in the advanced tactical or combat shooting realm. I have no civilian students and all of my students are Federal, State, Local LE or Military. I teach my style which is a fusion of varying styles, competition included.

This is a reward type of drill, where students run to the ragged edge of their own performance envelope and to the point of failure. It shows them their own limits and capabilities, but it is definitely a fun competitive thing with other students. The blend of combat shooting and competition techniques are clearly visible. The efficacy of a combat shooter trained in this manner is devastating.

Again this is one of my students that is currently in our training program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote