View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50   #28
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
The Glock trigger safety is widely misunderstood. It is in fact one of three drop safeties. Without it, if the pistol was dropped on the rear of the slide the acceleration could make the trigger bar heavy enough to release the firing pin and fire the pistol as though the trigger had been pulled. In the same direction of acceleration, the trigger safety is ballanced about its mid point pivot and so is unaffected and continues to block the weight of the trigger bar, thus preventing the pistol from firing.
That's an interesting idea, and it makes mechanical sense. I really wonder, though, how realistic it is. Given how much pressure it takes to pull the trigger (overcoming the striker spring at its most compressed, compressing the striker block plunger against its spring, and the friction of the sear sliding off the striker under tension) and given the fairly small mass of the stamped trigger bar, could the sear actually be released this way even if the gun were to achieve terminal velocity and land squarely on the back of the slide on a concrete surface? Has it ever been tried? Or is it a lawyer mandated design feature to satisfy some import requirement or an imagined legal scenario?

I'm almost tempted to go down and see if I can get the sear to release by pounding the back of the slide on my workbench with the trigger safety taped out of the way and (of course) the gun unloaded. But I'd rather not abuse my gun that way.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote