View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 17:23   #54
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yes, the 52. I'm mobile right now, but I'll post some pics later tonight.

I think the 52 may have been the finest auto S&W ever built. It's just not practical for anything other than target practice and bullseye competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
You have the right number.

I'll post some pics later. I've got one.

Here's my 52 guys. Its also in beautiful condition.

It was basically S&W's top of the line target pistol from back in the day and its also based on the 39. I actually think its the finest auto they ever built. I like it better than the modern Performance Center models. Its just not practical. All it shoots are 38 Special wadcutters. There's not much use for it outside bullseye competition, but the trigger is amazing.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

My favorite Smith auto is the 952 target pistol, which is based on the 52, but chambered in 9mm. Smith's Performance Center built it starting in 2003 and they just discontinued it last year. They were just getting too expensive for Smith to build and make a profit on. MSRP was well over $2000 as it was.

Not only is it my favorite Smith auto, but its my second favorite 9mm of all time, right behind the Browning Hi Power. Also, like the Hi Power, I think its one of the most beautiful autos ever built. Accuracy is as good as any handgun I own.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote