View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45   #91
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
How many rounds do you plan to use?
Depends. The only shootings I've been involved in were pistols.

This was three years ago now and resulted in us getting PIT approved. Two cops were hit but recovered completely. Two baddies (Bonnie & Clyde were DRT)

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Quote:
Here a few magazines should serve one well if the plan to aim and account for their rounds.
I'm now carrying 110 rounds on a major call. I don't think that is overkill. 30x2 a 30 in the gun and a 20 on my belt.

Quote:
I dont see officer taking AR/M4's to most calls, so they dont need the extra magazines and ammo weight/space taken up. A few guys at work carry a single 20 round mag.
I work in the Denver metro area and deploy my rifle usually a minimum of once per work week. I've had days where I went from call, to call, to call, with a rifle slung, never turning my overheads off... then days where I handle barking dogs and shoplifts at the mall. It depends.

Quote:

Why not have something like the Ready Mag http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=9 that would give you two magazines every time you grab the rifle. That would give you 60 rounds, more than most carry for pistol ammo. Then if needed get an extra magazine mounted to the outside butstock so you can have 90 rounds, that will be with the rifle. If need be on a active shooter call you could toss some extra rifle mags in the side cargo pockets giving you 150 to 210 rounds. 210 rounds in an Infantry soldiers combat load to fight in battle with. Thats facing a few enemy that are well armed and shooting back.
Read through the thread.

I just picked up this guy:

Cop Talk

Quote:
Me, I have two rifle mags with the rifle, extra on a raid vest. If stuff goes bad I am taking more equipment from the wounded and dead.
I'm not on our SWAT team (I'm on our mobile field force instead) so I don't have the luxury of a "raid vest" and patrol isn't "allowed" to use them for some unexplained reason.

I hear a lot of folks talk about taking mags off dead and wounded. I don't see this happening in a realistic LE shooting.

I also have folks carrying multiple weapon systems and calibers. The only thing interchangeable are our rifle mags since we all have to carry AR-15s in .223/5.56...

Quote:
Are the streets getting that bad or are officers looking to get in trouble using up what they have? Its like when the semi-auto pistol came to be issued, officer shootings went from 3-4 well placed shots to 9-12 shots, and now its reloads, soon it will be suppresive fire with Machine Gun teams covering.
I'm not sure how to take this rather disingenuous comment.

I don't look for trouble. I wasn't around for revolver to semi-auto transitions and I'm not a Cavalry Scout badass.

What I can tell you is I'm in an area made famous for spree killers and mass shootings. I have the biggest mall/shopping center in the region in my AOR. We are a hop/skip/jump from Columbine High School. I spent five+ hours with a front row seat at the Aurora theater shooting, and we have two school districts with three high schools.

I'm no crack shot badass, but I try and keep my skills up. I'm competing in our agency Top Gun shoot this year since I went through every single qual course without missing a round, shoot competitively on my days off when I have time/$$, and train like I fight.

If you have experience as a patrol officer, then you should know exactly how bad the streets are right now.

A good friend of mine stopped this not too long ago. Three gangbanging pieces of ****.

You tell me dude.

Cop Talk

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote