View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 15:10   #18
crazymoose
Nonentity

I have irons on everything. I also have optics on "go to" rifles. There are a lot of guys who can shoot irons just as fast as optics, as long as it's from favorable shooting stances. Once you talk about shooting on the move, lying on your back or side, etc., that's where red dot optics shine, because you don't need a good cheek weld. Serious situations don't always give you the luxury of shooting from the classic positions. There's a reason that virtually everyone who goes into harm's way for a living uses optics (if available/affordable).

Yes, optics and batteries can and do fail. That's why I have irons and believe that one should be proficient with them. That said, a lot of guys go too far with this philosophy. In prepping for an "end of the world" scenario, you're talking about optics with a five-year battery life. If you're running and gunning a lot in post apocalyptic, nuclear winter, Mad Max land, chances are that battery's life span will exceed yours. If, after five years of post apocalyptic combat, your battery dies, either 1) take a spare out of storage space on your rifle (lots of stocks, VFG's, grips now have storage), or 2) find an extra one. AA batteries are plentiful, and even the CR123's would be around somewhere.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 10-07-2012 at 15:16..
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote