Thread: Crimping ?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 15:41   #92
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
How is a new reloader supposed to know when not to follow the manuals. I am a new reloader. It seems dangerous for me, or any new reloader to simply start ignoring the published information in the manuals. Try not to confuse those of us who are new to this. Maybe after I have 10 years of reloading experience, I will be in a position to ignore the published tables.

But I am not there yet. If, I may speak for new reloaders.
It's not that complicated. Look at the chart below. The right side of the chart is safer, the left side is more dangerous (hint, hint). Big side of the < is safer NOT better.

Heavier Powder Charge < Lighter Powder Charge
Shorter OAL < Longer OAL
Heavier Bullet < Lighter Bullet
Lead < Plated < FMJ/JHP

How does this information help?

So if your moving the variable to the right side of the chart you are moving to safer direction. Not a riskier direction. So a manual will have a OAL of 1.110". If you load to 1.120 you can safely ignore the manuals suggestion for OAL (assuming it fits your barrel and has enough bullet engagement). I always load longer then the manuals OAL. I also always figure out how long I can load that specific bullet in my barrel. And then load it just a little shorter (about .010").

The mistake many reloaders make is they take every variable above and go to the safer side (THE RIGHT ). Then they wonder why their reloads don't work right. You want a reasonable amount of pressure to make everything (including your gun) work right.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 10-07-2012 at 16:44..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote