View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19   #57
Gonzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
Here is an LOL story for you. One of my coworkers at Cabelas came in last week and asked me to go with him after work to help "blood trail and drag" a doe he made a bad hit in earlier in the day. We went our, tracked the deer and sure enough 100 or so yards away the deer was laying, unable to move yet still alive. He looks at me and says "I left my bow in the truck, what now?". I drew my knife and long story short SLICE and there goes the deers throat. I looked back as I waited a minute for the deer to expire and he was upset, tears in his eyes and looking kind of sick. So I told him "here, take my knife and field dress it". He then Informed me this was his first kill and he didn't know how. I told him I would help him and teach him how. Long story short he didn't make it through it, we'll his lunch didn't anyway. A gut shot deer field dressing job does stink quite a bit but watching this "hunter" puke and cry just struck me as hilarious.LOL
Some people just aren't prepared for what happens after the shot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Some folks aren't used to it, I think for most of us we started small. The first thing I gutted was a squirrel. Not too big of a deal, then I did trout and bass and birds, soon enough I was gutting deer when I shot my first at 16.

The ones with a hole in the gut sure smell bad.

This year something happened where I punctured the gut. When I shot the deer had just seen/winded me so it was alert, I think it might have jumped the string and turned a bit as when I fired it was perfectly sideways. I hit the vitals:
The Okie Corral
But the arrow went back and put a hole in the gut. It smelled terrible. Deer never smelled that bad to me before.

Even a good shot can get weird sometimes.