Thread: Fat cases?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 14:46   #27
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Pay heed to the 'kinetic bullet puller'. The collet style works well for rifle bullets, doesn't work at all for semi-wadcutter pistol bullets and is only marginal for other pistol bullets....

SARDG's point was that when you use a taper crimp die to close up the case mouth, you don't want to go so far that you dent the plating. The way to test the adjustment is to assemble a round and then pull the bullet. If there is no mark from the crimp, at least the round is over-crimped. But you need to crimp far enough that the case is straight and the mouth doesn't stick up.

Oh, and you really do want to use a taper crimp die even if it didn't come in the die set.

Richard
Thanks for your sage advice and continuation of my crimp comments. BTW, didn't you mean 'the round is NOT over-crimped'?

Also, I have an RCBS 9mil collet style puller and a $22 Lee press dedicated to it for pulling my Montana Gold 147 CMJs (right now), and it works wonderfully. It probably has something to do with the bullet profile and enough straight edge of the bullet above the case, before the ogive - and with a 147gr and long OAL (1.135) I have plenty.

My philosophy for 'stuff' is; see it, buy it, try it. This puller works well for me, but YMMV.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote