View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 17:40   #48
Schabesbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
Don't be sorry, what I posted answers everything you posted.
No, it doesn't.

It's a commentary from a horrible translation of scripture. If they can't even get the text right, how much of a mess do you think they're going to make of its meaning?

It's a mess of confused "thought" which either doesn't address it, or gets it wrong.

Here's an example. They say:
“For circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision
is nothing; rather, the keeping of God’s commandments is essential” (I Cor. 7:19). He further explained
how he reached out to everyone, Jew and Gentile alike, in preaching the gospel. But never at any time
did he proclaim that the laws and commandments of God were no longer in effect for himself or the
believer
: “Now to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to those who are under law, as
under law, that I might gain those who are under law; to those who are without law, as without law (not
being without law to God, but within law to Christ
), that I might gain those who are without law” (I
Cor. 9:20-21).
Now, St. Paul clearly is describing a law that is separate and apart from the law of circumcision in the 1Cor 7:19 quote, since he is CONTRASTING circumcision, which he says is meaningless, from keeping "God's commandments." after all, wasn't circumcision one of God's commandments? No, he is saying that we need to live the Gospel commands.

Here's a hint: just highlighting PART of a passage in bold doesn't mean that you can ignore the part you didn't highlight.

Your leaders claim "But never at any time
did he proclaim that the laws and commandments of God were no longer in effect for himself or the
believer." This is quite demonstrably false, IF you read ALL of scripture, and believe all of scripture. For example:

Ro 3:21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law, although the law and the prophets bear witness to it,
Ro 3:28 For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law.
Ro 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Ro 7:1 Do you not know, brethren--for I am speaking to those who know the law--that the law is binding on a person only during his life?
Ro 7:2 Thus a married woman is bound by law to her husband as long as he lives; but if her husband dies she is discharged from the law concerning the husband.
Ro 7:3 Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.
Ro 7:4 Likewise, my brethren, you have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead in order that we may bear fruit for God.
Ro 7:5 While we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.
Ro 7:6 But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.

Now, what does your quote from 1Co 9:21 mean?

1Co 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law--though not being myself under the law--that I might win those under the law.
1Co 9:21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law--not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ--that I might win those outside the law.

Paul is simply saying that he's NOT under the OT law, but rather under Christ's Gospel law. He's not an anti-nomianist, but this is a NEW testament, as prophesied by Jeremiah.

Notice how Paul says that we WERE under the law? PAST TENSE!! Now, we are no longer slaves (under the Law), but adopted sons & daughters!!!

Ga 3:23 Now before faith came, we were confined under the law, kept under restraint until faith should be revealed.
24 So that the law was our custodian until Christ came, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian;
26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise.
Ga 4:1 I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no better than a slave, though he is the owner of all the estate;
2 but he is under guardians and trustees until the date set by the father.
3 So with us; when we were children, we were slaves to the elemental spirits of the universe.
4 But when the time had fully come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law,
5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.

This about sums it up (and shows that your quoted text is wrong):
Ga 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law.

Now, whether or not Paul wrote the epistle to the Hebrews, this letter also testifies against your beliefs:
Heb 7:12 For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.

Again, I'm sorry that you can't think for yourself.

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote