View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33   #5
pugman

"The university says it must consider race as a factor in admissions, or minorities will be underrepresented on its campuses"

At some point, this has to die.

I started college in 1987; my roommate's friend (who was black had a full ride academic scholarship) graduated high school with a 2.2 gpa (this is when UW would admit grades this low). He finished school and proverbally graduated based on the results of the last final of his last class.

He was immediately picked up by the M&I Bank Management Trainee program which back in the early 90's was extremely lucrative. The program all but told him the only reason they selected him was because was black.

My BIL is black. His mom is one of the associate principals at a school in the Milwaukee area. She is the principal you don't want to be sent to.

She tells me she is shocked how many students still come to her and tell her how teachers unfairly treat them because of their race - the fact they attend school half the time has nothing to do with it.

She is brutally honest when she tells students they are fools. African American students who show the smallest amount of geniune initiative have a very good chance of succeeding as the system still provides them with a financial advantage. She openly admits when she reviews grants the system doesn't always provide money to better students. This isn't your local KoC or VFW chapter who is free to give their funds to whomever they want-this is federal money.

But this sort of discrimination goes both ways - wasn't it California's public school system which recently had to lower admission standards to allow more domestic students to attend their schools over foreign students?

Callihan hit the nail on the head - best person for the job...period.

Last edited by pugman; 10-09-2012 at 07:35..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote