View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 17:53   #83
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by weagle View Post
Choke means nothing at 7 yds. I load turkey loads because they are higher quality shells (high brass, more reliable feeding/ extraction) than most target loads. Buck shot will penetrate walls/ floors etc more effectively than bird shot. A real issue in my house. Once bird shot loads have passed through sheet rock, doors, floors etc they may still be dangerous, but much less lethal than buckshot.

At 21 feet a skeet load will render a canadian goose into mangled sack of goo, so I have no idea what you are talking about with regard to larger birds.
To say choke means nothing @ 7yds tells me you either do not test your sg loads or have never used an open/riot choke, Yes it matters. A mod choke will reduce the spread to 2-3" @ 21ft, that is signifcant. Again, I wet pheasant @ approx 50ft w/ mod choke & #6 & had most pellets stop inside the bird & many right under the skin, not comforting for SD, but hey, your life. My own test prove diff than complete obliteration of anything @ 21ft w/ an open/riot choke.
Caliber Corner Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner Caliber Corner
That was a #6 shot @ 21ft from a 870 riot bbl thru 2 layers of denim. Note none of the #6 went thru the ribs on the right. The left were smashed & broken using #4 buck. I know which would end the fight sooner than later. Yes choke matters at any distance but contact.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-11-2012 at 14:17..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote