View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 18:16   #71
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
SUHWEEEEEET!

(The orange thing on the left-front leg, is that the tag for your area?)
Yes, that's the carcass tag which has to be signed, punched and attached to the animal immediately after the kill. It's tied with orange baling twine. I always carry about 50 yards of baling twine while hunting. It's cheap, compact, lightweight, and strong enough to drag a deer or goat down the mountain or across the prairie. For big heavy game like elk, it is invaluable for tying back the legs for field dressing, or keep a beast from sliding down mountain. Baling twine can save the day when you have to maneuver and prepare a 400-500 lb. animal by yourself.

Last year's bull rolled down a slope and piled up against some oak brush where it was impossible for me to move him. Eventually I got his legs tied back to nearby shrubs so he could be field dressed, skinned and cut up for packout.

The Okie Corral

Elk are big animals, too big for most men to move more than a few feet. There's no dragging an elk back to camp, even with a horse.

The Okie Corral

Neatly held with baling twine, this one at least fell on level ground....

The Okie Corral

I got 'er cut up ready to pack out the next morning, but a bear chomped on much of the back straps by the time I arrived the next morning....

The Okie Corral

A bear also ate part of my 2010 elk. I had cut it up into 7 pieces ready to pack out and laid them out on the snow for a morning packout. I tried to foil a bear by tying all the pieces together with baling twine to make it harder to carry away. It worked! The bear dragged a leg and all the pieces followed but the tied parts kept him from getting away with anything but the unsecured liver.

The Okie Corral

Can you tell I like hunting elk?

The Okie Corral

My 2012 elk hunt begins in one week, wish me luck.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is online now   Reply With Quote