View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 14:54   #7
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Well, you got balls. I'll give you that. I won't be able to participate in this thread as much as I would like this evening as I have two graduate level mid-terms coming up (Mangerial Accounting and Statistical Analysis). I will point out that you threw the gauntlet down on both history and scientific accuracy, so you will be dealing with multiple topics at the same time.

I'll start with history.

[Edit: I see Glock36Shooter already raised this one.]

Supposedly, jesus was born during an empire wide census ordered by Caeser Augustus and carried out by local Roman governor Quirinius. This was also supposedly during the time of Herod the Great's rule. The problem is that Herod the Great died about ten years before Quirinius carried out the (local) census. Those two things couldn't have happened at the same time and if Herod was not king at the time then there could not have been a "massacre of the innocents" in Bethlehem. If Herod was king then the Quirinius's census wasn't happening and there would not have been a reason for Joseph and Mary to travel to Bethlehem.

The census itself is problematic because there is no record of Caesar Augustus ever ordering an empire wide census. Quirinius's census was local only. It also introduces another problem as there would not have been a Roman census under Herod's rule because Herod would have collected his own taxes and paid tribute to Rome himself. Not until after his death did Rome step in and start collecting taxes in the region directly.

As for science.

Quote:
The angel walked a bit and stood in a narrow place where the donkey wouldn't be able to turn at all. When the donkey saw the angel, she fell down. This made Balaam so mad that he hit the donkey with a stick.
Then God made the donkey talk and she said, "What did I do to you to make you hit me three times?"
Balaam answered, "You teased me! I wish I had a sword so I could kill you."
The donkey said, "Aren't I your donkey which you rode ever since I was yours? Did I ever want to ride you?"
"Well, no," said Balaam.
Then God let Balaam see the angel standing in the road with a sword. Balaam bowed his head and fell flat on his face.
The angel said, "Why did you hit your donkey three times? Look, I was trying to stop you because you weren't doing what I wanted you to do. Your donkey saw me and got you out of the way. If she hadn't, I would have killed you and let her live."

Numbers 22:26-32
Enough said.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-17-2012 at 15:02..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote