View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 14:44   #24
Schabesbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I find that most of your apologetics depend greatly on the "The Bible says X but what it really means is Y."
[sarcasm]I have never said that "The Bible says X" nor have I ever said that what it "means is Y." In fact, "X" and "Y" are meaningless.
[/sarcasm]
Of course, I understand what you mean, but that is because we're using a common context for the meaning. Another culture, at another time, could simply conclude that you're not telling the truth, or that you're completely wrong. And THAT is what you're doing with the Bible.

Quote:
And then you claim the interpretation that you have chosen is the only correct one and that everyone else is wrong and simply doesn't understand it as completely as you.
No, we study the scriptures and make a determination based on the intended meaning of the human author.

Mark P. Shea: Reading the Bible Like a Grownup

Quote:
I feel you twist the bible to mean whatever you want it to mean and back it up with an impressive pile of BS.
In the real world, feelings don't really stack up well against actual facts.

Quote:
In your world the bible cannot be held accountable for what it actually says because what it says is completely different from what it actually means.
Actually, this is exactly upside down. What we try to do is derive the actual meaning as the author intended it.

Quote:
What box of cracker jacks did you get your secret decoder ring out of and where can I get mine?
I could point you to a huge pile of good books, but you would rather go off of your "feelings" I'm afraid.

Just as a LITERALISTIC reading of your first paragraph would lead to a misinterpretation of your INTENDED meaning, someone in another culture could (if they didn't WANT to get to the truth, since they couldn't handle the truth) mockingly dismiss your statement as a bunch of, to quote Biden, "malarky."

You could start off with the Catechism:
109 In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way. To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words.75

110 In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression."76

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou

Last edited by Schabesbert; 10-29-2012 at 14:45..
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote