View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 15:41   #188
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Sight alignment is one of the basic techniques of rifle marksmanship. If you haven't practiced it and haven't shot irons a good deal you don't have the skillset. Ask yourself this question...if you think its not that hard take an iron sighted gun deer hunting this year and prove it. I've killed stuff with irons out to 280 yards including deer. I've competed with irons out to 1,000. Show me a man who doesn't know his way around a set of iron sights on a rifle and I'll show you a man who cannot shoot worth a damn with ANY sight.

Its a fundamental skill set. You either have it and have proven you can use it or you don't. Its not any harder than that.
Most people lack the interest of learning Marksmanship with Iron Sights. They would rather just depend on a sight with an illuminated reticle. If that gets more people into the shooting sports, I could care a less.

I, myself would love to walk into the Trophy Shop at Camp Perry and see my name on one of those. Until, I feel confident enough for that, I’ll keep practicing with Iron Sights and keep doing the rifle matches at my club.

I the past, I have hunted with Iron Sights and Red Dots. I can use either. I like Red Dots on a handgun and Iron Sights on the shotgun.

Last edited by smokin762; 10-30-2012 at 15:43..
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote