View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 13:43   #192
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
We train a bunch of folks to shoot rifles, and some of their rifles do not even have iron sights. We still teach the fundamentals, to include a good cheek weld for 20 bench rounds to sight the rifle in, 20 prone rounds to learn that position, then 20 rounds in arm rest standing..... And those 60 first rounds need to be fired with a good cheek weld. 20 rounds each from kneeling and sitting follow, then we work on improvised field positions.... And the cheek weld is an element in every shot fired.

We want to include everyone in the enjoyment of the shooting sports and we know that hitting what they want to hit is what is going to keep them coming back.
I can understand the position you need to take.

For the past 3 years, I have been going up to Camp Perry for the EIC Rifle or Pistol Matches. The AMU and the NRA coaches have showed me so much and have helped me out with my shooting ability, that I am hooked on Competition Shooting. More rifle than pistol. I share this information with friends and coworkers all the time. I have people that tell me the advice was helpful to them. Then I tell them about the course. But most people donít want to take the time for it.

My first year of the rifle matches I was a little intimidated at shooting 200 yards with Iron Sights. I scored in the 260ís out of a possible 400 points. I practiced what I learned until the next match. The second year I took the advanced course. I scored in the 320ís out of a possible 400 points. Sometimes, I wish I had these guys on speed dial for pointers.

So yes, I do understand if they arenít hitten, then they are splitten. And youíll never see them again.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote