View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 15:57   #197
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
The fundamentals are transferable, yet one cannot transfer what has not been developed. RDS allow rifle shooters to get easy hits up close without applying parts of the fundamentals. Once habituated to shooting without applying the fundamentals, it is very difficult to break bad habits. Success initially comes a bit more slowly when the well proven step by step methods are applied in conditioning a shooter to consistently applying the fundamentals, but a thourough mastery of basic marksmanship skills.

NRA Education and training loosely defines that as hitting a 6 inch target at 100 yards consistently with a centerfire rifle from all 5 basic rifle positions or a 1 1/4 inch target at 50 ft with a rimfire, any sights. BSA defines it as 1 1/8 inch groups at 50 ft from prone with metallic sights.

We routinely get Boy Scouts to their standard in 7-9 hours at camp and others to the NRA Basic Rifle Standard in the 14 hour basic rifle course.

Once we get the basic skills developed, we can taylor a program geared toward the shooters objectives, steer them toward a self directed course in the NRA/Winchester Marksmanship Qualification Program, or help them find a club with matches geared toward their interests.
From the sound of it, it seems you guys do a great job with new shooters.

I have seen some people on the firing line at the Club I belong too with some bad habits. Sometimes I wonder where they learned how to shoot. I have tried to give them advise, but most of them don't want to hear it. Some do though.

A couple of weeks ago, the guy next to me was shooting his AR. He was shooting all over the place. I noticed he had a different cheek weld everytime. I told him maybe he needs to try putting his nose to the charging handle a few times and see what happens. He did much better and thanked me. He was an older guy with his first AR.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote