View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 13:20   #508
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
NeverMore1701, dude! That first one is great. I've never seen a benchmade like this. Could you tell us more about it and what you've done to it? Strong work .
I picked it up for cheap here on GT from someone who didn't like the SOCP. When I got it, I could see why, it's a pretty terrible stock design. I didn't have a definite direction when I started on it, just dove in and started messing around.

First I cut off the godawful ring, ground down the finger grooves that didn't quite fit my hand, and stripped the black coating off. Then I made some micarta out of a tan T-shirt and epoxied it on. I also lengthened the handle just a hair with the micarta. Not much, but enough to improve the feel a bit.

Shaped the handle down to a pretty thin profile, ghetto jimped the blade shoulder on the spine, thoroughly dulled and rounded the spine, and very slowly cut the angle into the spine. That part took a while, as I could only do a very small bit at a time to keep the blade cool. Put a good edge on it, pressed out a kydex neck sheath, and am pretty happy with it.

If I would have had a definite direction from the beginning it probably wouldn't have sat half-finished for several months, and some of the details might have ended up a bit cleaner, but I just wanted a project to mess around with, and it filled that role just fine, with the added bonus of turning out well enough for me.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote