View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 22:36   #279
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Au contrare mon frair certified, prohibition is the antithesis of progressionism (new word?) now the democrats enacted the 1922 Harrison narcotics act as part of a racist platform, but I would not consider it progressive.

I am on the record as being in favor of the legalization of all drugs except 2, romazicon and narcan. If you OD and are not 6 yrs old or under or visually impaired, I mean accidental OD, then Darwin wins.

But to ascribe prohibition to liberal progressivism, well let's just say I am highly skeptical.
Progressives want to control behavior. The nation was founded upon principles including individual liberty. The conservative view is classic liberalism. Make sense now?

Sceding (sp?) power to the federal government is a progressive principle. Tolerating the federal government seizing power unconstitutionally is a progressive principle. The bastardization of the commerce clause is a progressive principle.

A whole flurry of progressive activity took place in the early 20th century including the Harrison narcotics act and the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th amendments.

You need to remember who the early progressives were and what they believed.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 11-26-2012 at 22:39..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote