View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 18:40   #304
inthefrey
Moved on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Ok, ok! It was a terrible example!

I liked the previous one a lot better, but the guy I was responding to seemed to have ignored it. I'll repeat it here, I guess:

If I ask you to build a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 100 meters away, that's something we know how to do.

If I then ask for a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 10 miles away... well, that's an engineering challenge, but fundamentally all it would take is a really really big speaker and some good waveguide design.

If I ask for a speaker that will let me hear you on the Moon... it can't be done. Sound physically does not work that way. No amount of can-do attitude can make it happen.

Some limitations are physics. Some are engineering. Sometimes we're confused about which is which. But there *are* some fundamental physics limitations that cannot be overcome simply by building better machines.
I didn't ignore it! I thought it was an excellent example or challenge if you will.

On an science/physics/engineering note: I read where we've overcome the need to cryo-freeze a MASER to get it to work - Basically room-temp, solid-state MASER.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19281566

I also read where you guys are planning the "next" machine, the "Higgs Factory", and that funding for it will be a little tough in this economy.

Good luck!
inthefrey is offline   Reply With Quote