View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12   #310
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
There is up to a septillion stars, billion is a drop in the bucket.

The closest star is 4.3 light years away (four point three)

BTW, it is worrying about money and who has the most stuff that has created societies that can start to understand this stuff. I will never understand how people (Americians in particular) dont get this.

Right, as I said, I'm not a scientist or an expert on the Universe, I'm a history geek instead. Still, 4.3 light years away is ridiculously far away, and I'm not sure if it's possible we even are able to travel that far in our lifetime.

And I understand it would take millions in research and development, as well as many years, to reach a stage where we are capable of that level of "Space Exploration".

But when you consider the challenges our planet faces: failing global economy, dwindling finite resources, damage to our planet caused by pollution and economic development, I sometimes wish we would worry more about "humanity" rather than just America, or Britain, or Botswana, or whatever.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if we were more in this together, we may reach that stage much faster. Stephen Hawking himself said we as a species will probably have to expand outward into space in the next 1,000 years or we're pretty much screwed.

But again, I'm a bit of an Idealist I suppose.