View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 17:58   #48
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
I get it... so I'm pussified if I think Jesus was instructing people to be pacifists. Gotcha.
You missed it. Jesus was instructing people not to retaliate or seek revenge when wronged. None...I repeat NONE of the examples He gave in that passage involve a current mortal threat or even a threat of physical damage. Your premise here is that getting slapped is equivalent to a serious physical attack that in order to ignore or simply allow to happen would be an act of extreme pacifism. Problem is getting slapped is little more than an insult.

Quote:
Sorry I never saw where you asked me the first time. I personally think this passage shows where jesus really was just a man and not anything magical or god like. I think he was afraid and he was telling his handlers to get some weapons. He knew he had pissed off the wrong people and his time was running out. And I do think he makes himself a hypocrite here because up until this point he preached loving one's enemies, not resisting evil, and being a pacifist.
My apologies, I asked you this in another thread. If Jesus was afraid why would he stay in town? If Jesus was afraid why be silent when questioned by the Sanhedrin or when before Pontious when he could have gotten out of such punishment? Your reasoning doesn't add up. Why tell Peter to put his sword away when coming to His defense that night? The swords were not to defend Christ, they were to defend themselves. Loving ones enemies he certainly preached, but where does he teach pacifism???

Quote:
No... I have a habit of head butting people and smashing their noses. Peace through superior firepower. But that was not Jesus' style. That is not what his example was and is it not the duty of each Christian to be as Christ-like as possible? Do you think Christ would have carried a gun? Or do you think he would have accepted God's will and let what will be... be?
Christ came here to die at the appointed time and in that appointed way. My future is not so certain. Being as Christ-Like as possible is to follow his teachings, not strive to suffer the same fate.

Quote:
Again, is it not the goal of every Christian to be as Christ-like as possible? Do you think Christ would have carried a Glock had they been available then? Do you think he would have approved of his followers carrying a machine designed to kill to efficiently?
What would God need a Glock for? If His instructions were to be given in today's day of age, I believe "gun" would have been substituted for "sword".

Quote:
That's a cop out. There is a difference between the everyday example he set for his followers and the "Miracles" that the writers of the bible invented and attributed to him.
Agreed. See my comment above about being Christ-like.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie

Last edited by Roering; 12-12-2012 at 18:57..
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote