View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44   #62
isp2605

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
Under what IN, WI or federal law are they doing this? To the best of my knowledge the purchaser's place of residence is irrelevant for an ammunition or component purchase, without some specific state or federal statute to the contrary. Come to think of it I've never been asked for any ID when purchasing ammunition in Indiana.
IL law says if a business outside of IL sells an IL resident ammo then the business is suppose to check your FOID. It's one of those do-gooder laws that is pretty much unenforceable. IL cannot force a business not in IL to abide by IL law. The only way it can be enforced is if a company ships ammo to IL. If they weren't checking for FOID then IL could stop ammo shipments from that business into IL. It's pretty tough to enforce either way. IL can't get out of state companies to collect IL sales tax even tho there's an IL law on the books saying they will collect and send the tax collected to IL.

Quote:
isp, I seem to recall a discussion a few years back that ended with the State Police coming out with a statement that a CCW counted the same as an FOID for those from out of state. I believe the discussion had to do with purchasing ammo. Do you recall this or am I misremembering?
Not CCW actually. All IL law says if you can legally own a firearm in your resident state then you can transport in IL. You'd have to be jammed up on something illegal here before anyone would even think or try to determine if you're legal in your home state. It would be an element to a charge that you couldnt legally possess here because you couldn't legally possess there. All your CCW would do is show you can legally possess in your home state therefore it is akin to a FOID in this state to show you can legally possess. But not having a CCW doesn't mean you can't legally possess in your state. For example, all the guys who shoot trap and come to IL fo the national matches at the World Shooting complex in Sparta IL. None of those guys would have a CCW to carry their trap guns concealed.

Quote:
Under what IN, WI or federal law are they doing this? To the best of my knowledge the purchaser's place of residence is irrelevant for an ammunition or component purchase, without some specific state or federal statute to the contrary. Come to think of it I've never been asked for any ID when purchasing ammunition in Indiana.

isp, I seem to recall a discussion a few years back that ended with the State Police coming out with a statement that a CCW counted the same as an FOID for those from out of state. I believe the discussion had to do with purchasing ammo. Do you recall this or am I misremembering?