View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 22:24   #1
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Concealment holsters & retention options - experience/advice

Looking to try out some different options in holsters.

Having come from the same uniform background as everyone, I know we are all used to the ubiquitous thumb break and SLS rotating hood type of retention and those naturally would be the easiest types to use for off duty as well. Never could get very comfortable with non-retention or friction only retention off duty holsters, just don't like it, maybe it's a SoCal thing.

Then comes the SERPA with the intuitive index finger release which was very easy to learn and get used to, but horrible for concealment with the way it sticks out from your body en bloc.

Also tried the thumb drive which was pretty simple for ease of operation, similar to the SLS in using your thumb to push down to release.

Today, went to the store and tried the Bianchi auto retention holsters that has the paddle behind the trigger guard that requires you to use your middle finger to push it in to release the gun. It's reminiscent of the Safariland 070 where you had to use your middle finger to release the extra snap.

It was easy enough to use but felt very awkward and doing a few practice draws made it very clear that it was going to take a lot of mental rewiring to get it down, and the act of pushing the paddle inward toward your body also has a tendency to move the whole holster inward, causing a lot more movement than I would like, just to clear my weapon.

Guess that is a long winded way of asking if anyone has experience with that type of Bianchi holster and what do you think, also just in general, what type of retention do you guys find to be adequate and fits your needs, as well as meeting your comfort level, for off duty or concealment holsters?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote