View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 23:33   #49
NOLA_glock
Shrug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It asked for an opinion - Do you consider the Bushmaster .223 an assault weapon?

I believe assault weapon is a fictional term used in Newspeak to support a political agenda - I don't consider any firearm an assault weapon.

I am not obligated to agree with my legislators' opinions on word definitions, especially of terms they invented for a political purpose. Whether I disagree that the bushmaster fits the legislated definition of "assault weapon" or whether I disagree that such a thing exists, the answer is still clearly no. The only way of answering "yes" would be if I agree with both the validity of the term "assault weapon" AND that the Bushmaster fits it.

If it asked, does the Bushmaster .223 match the definition of "assault weapon" set out in __________ (one of many various gun coontrol laws)" the answer might be different.

We agree. And I suppose you're right. I believe that it is an assault weapon as they have defined it, but since I believe the term to be arbitrary, I cannot say that I consider anything an "assault weapon". That was the question, after all, as you've reminded me.

Brain fart.

ಠ_ಠ
NOLA_glock is offline   Reply With Quote