View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00   #87
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Look up idiopathic gastroparesis because it is indeed rare unless you want to claim that a simple PA is going to school us on a problem that it's exceedingly difficult to find a doctor that knows anything about it. And she never liked pot at all until the IGP started being a problem for her. Had a husband that smoked it too much and that set her sour on the stuff. It took some convincing to get her to try it and only some strains give her the effect she's looking for (hence the trip to find some of those strains as well as look into moving to a place where it's not illegal for medical use).

You know Doc, I'd think after your years of medical service you'd know better than to try to use something like this as ammo against me. You're a real piece of work and a real POS.

I just lost any interest in ever engaging you in debate or conversation again. Now go tell all your buddies that you finally beat me and how. Back to the ignore list you go for good.
Did I mention that I have worked in Gastroenterology for the last 6.5 years. I'm the guy that your Primary Care Physician would send your GF too when he ran out of things to try. I have dozens of patients with gastroparesis, and 4 with idiopathic gastroparesis. It's not that rare.

So, putting everything else I don't like about you aside for the moment, realize that the weed may be the problem, or it can make it worse. It might make her feel better when it is in her system, but be exacerbating the problem overall. It's well known that MJ slows gastric motility. And over time, a paradoxical cyclic vomiting syndrome can occur.

Disclaimer: Never follow medical advice given on the internet without first checking with THE PATIENT'S primary care provider and/or specialty providers first.

Options are limited. dietary changes can help, and often are the only thing that works very well. There are meds, but they don't work too well, and some have horrendous side effects. I know of one young lady that has had a very severe facial spasm for a couple of years after stopping reglan. She doesn't go out much anymore because of it. I don't prescribe or recommend regular use of reglan. Gastric neurostimulators (also called gastric pacemakers) are out there, only a few surgeons in larger cities do the procedure, and they are hit or miss too. They work for some, and not for others. All the risks associated with surgery and perforation exist, so that is reserved for people that are well aware of the risks, and that have already tried everything else.

It's her life. Be sure to understand and explore all treatment options very well, and make informed decisions in conjunction with a professional.

I wish her luck.